View Single Post
Old 12-24-2022, 05:06 AM   #19
panjumbie

This is a reply to NH Solar. I just read the part of NFPA 855, which I was unfamiliar with, that sets requirements for installation of energy storage systems in one and two family homes. I think you somewhat exaggerate that part of the code.

The systems, up to a fairly big system are allowed attached to the exterior of the house, as long as they have a certain distance clearance from the windows/doors, they are allowed in attached or detached garages, or in enclosed utility closets and storage or utility spaces if the local inspection agency approves the closet/storage/utility space use. If in such an interior space that is unfinished/not noncombustible, the walls and ceiling shall be covered with 5/8 type X drywall. (and as I recall, that provides a one hour rating, rather than the half hour rating of half inch standard drywall.)

Nonetheless, I'd agree, install these systems with caution until the design standards have stabilized and unexpected hazards have been safely resolved. And most certainly you wand a system that has been tested and listed by an organization like UL, not something homemade from used parts, as the one in Sanbornville apparently was.
panjumbie is offline   Reply With Quote