View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 07:39 AM   #22
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProfessor View Post
I take a slightly different tack when seeking budget used cars. Brand has no meaning. I only seek one owner no accident no rust used cars. I ask for maintenance records. Not seeking but usually end up with female used cars.
The car is not female - the previous owner/driver was.
I ask many questions before driving to view cars. I usually pay less then posted or asking price.
I avoid any used car with a CVT transmission. Although the CVT's are getting better now. I skip anything with a turbo. OK for new cars but older used cars an expensive repair.
I skip all cars with a timing belt. I only get used cars with a timing chain.
I only buy from individuals - not used car dealers or flippers. I don't buy any used car that has known problems. Other then dash bulb mentioned above. A $6.00 fix.

The highest miles on odometer from list above was 118,000. That is the one that I drive. I do get the fluids changed. And I have local mechanic put in new spark plugs. I will also have local mechanic put in new brake pads/shoes if less the 1/3 left. I am up to 145,000 and vehicle runs/starts great. Can cruise 80 MPH all day long with no vibrations - or until I get a speeding ticket.

And as stated above, I get the used cars oil undercoated. I travel to Chichester for that LINK

If seeking a manual transmission car. That used car market is quite limited. But they are out there if one has patience.
I do agree with what you say but did have a couple of questions; What does oil undercoating run in terms of cost?

Also, will they undercoat any used car, or are they selective with cars in which they will do? i.e. what about cars that may already have the beginnings of rust on them?

Does the oil undercoating make the vehicle run quieter at highway speeds (is the interior noticeably quieter due to undercoating) ?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote