View Single Post
Old 11-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #21
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Just out of curiosity, Professor, what were the years and mileage on your $2750-2500-1700 three car buys?
I take a slightly different tack when seeking budget used cars. Brand has no meaning. I only seek one owner no accident no rust used cars. I ask for maintenance records. Not seeking but usually end up with female used cars.
The car is not female - the previous owner/driver was.
I ask many questions before driving to view cars. I usually pay less then posted or asking price.
I avoid any used car with a CVT transmission. Although the CVT's are getting better now. I skip anything with a turbo. OK for new cars but older used cars an expensive repair.
I skip all cars with a timing belt. I only get used cars with a timing chain.
I only buy from individuals - not used car dealers or flippers. I don't buy any used car that has known problems. Other then dash bulb mentioned above. A $6.00 fix.

The highest miles on odometer from list above was 118,000. That is the one that I drive. I do get the fluids changed. And I have local mechanic put in new spark plugs. I will also have local mechanic put in new brake pads/shoes if less the 1/3 left. I am up to 145,000 and vehicle runs/starts great. Can cruise 80 MPH all day long with no vibrations - or until I get a speeding ticket.

And as stated above, I get the used cars oil undercoated. I travel to Chichester for that LINK

If seeking a manual transmission car. That used car market is quite limited. But they are out there if one has patience.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote