View Single Post
Old 01-23-2023, 04:37 PM   #44
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset on the dock View Post
Whatever the circumstances, I suspect Capt. Dunleavey would not have recorded 65 MPH+ without reasonable probability of knowing that this number is correct. And wherever the swimmer was, it shows that at 65 MPH (or so) one's ability to spot and avoid danger is impaired. So what about a skier who has fallen in the Broads? Will he/she be seen? Or are we to give over the Broads just to the speed boaters?

But whatever the circumstances, this flies in the face of Woodsy's assertion that there have not been any daytime speeding related accidents.

Many lakes, Lake George for example, have speed limits. I suspect ours will stand as presently written.
So I am going to here, what I see is you typing a response, indicating that Capt. Dunleavey, made a statement as such, however where is the official document from him stating that..... If I hear it from him, or I see something that indicates it came from other then word of mouth I have no choice but to agree with the statement.

The last time I looked into this accident, there was nothing published from a detailed perspective, only that speed was not the only contributing factor. There was and never has been an argument other than that the Boat operator was at fault, and failed "to keep a proper lookout".... they probably violated the 150' rule etc. etc......

At the end of the day, speed is not the problem... Everyone I have ever known, that has a boat capable of 45+ MPH, doesn't run into crowded areas, or by swimmers and kayakers..... I guess the unfortunate message here, is that responsible people have to pay the price for idiots.... At this point in my life I have no dog in this fight, I happily own a pontoon boat that tops out at about 22 MPH.... but at the end of the day, I hate to see regulations come into play, that give a false sense of security... and that is all the speed limit does......