View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
BrownstoneNorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Not exactly.

So in your opinion NY has taken the greatest strides to stem the spread of this virus. OK let's take that at face value as being 100% accurate. Part of that has been to prohibit the operation of sleepaway camps right? SO how is it that circumventing this by sending kids out of state is still adhering to great strides being taken to stem the spread? Even if they don't bring it with them (again taking your assertion this would be true) they have supposedly a great chance of exposure going to states where these same practices are not in place, have not been in place and thus increasing their chance of being exposed and bringing it back home. Hence my illustration of hypocrisy.

Far as Texas goes, they have opted to not be a nanny state. They have put guidance (not mandates) out there and allowed people increased freedom to do as they please. Everyone knows what the risk factors are, everyone can put on their big boy pants and make a decision as to what they think it best for themselves, their families and most importantly their businesses. This is the way it should be. I certainly put a lot more confidence in the average joe to make these decisions for themselves than I do to some moron elected official to do it "for us".
Re: New York and other states now in better covid situations. First, they're not “sending” kids to out of state camps, just not trying to stop them. And they won't be exposed to anyone but each other at camp in NH. Second, while it would be impossible for Winaukee to operate under NH's restrictions because their campers & staff come from all over the US as well as abroad and obviously couldn't get there, a group coming from a single area within driving distance can use private cars and buses. Try reading NH camp restrictions and this will be clearer:

https://www.nheconomy.com/NHEconomy/...ht-camps_1.pdf

Re: Texas — you're not up to date. The Conservative Governor Abbott, who in mid-June rejected a request from mayors of several major Texas cities to allow them to mandate masks, decided in light of the ensuing crisis that average Joes left to their own devices needed some nannying after all.

https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/gove...mit-gatherings

July 2:

"Wearing a face covering in public is proven to be one of the most effective ways we have to slow the spread of COVID-19,” said Governor Abbott. “We have the ability to keep businesses open and move our economy forward so that Texans can continue to earn a paycheck, but it requires each of us to do our part to protect one another—and that means wearing a face covering in public spaces. Likewise, large gatherings are a clear contributor to the rise in COVID-19 cases. Restricting the size of groups gatherings will strengthen Texas’ ability to corral this virus and keep Texans safe. We all have a responsibility to slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep our communities safe. If Texans commit to wearing face coverings in public spaces and follow the best health and safety practices, we can both slow the spread of COVID-19 and keep Texas open for business. I urge all Texans to wear a face covering in public, not just for their own health, but for the health of their families, friends, and for all our fellow Texans.”

Also Governor Abbott:
“If I could go back and redo anything, it probably would have been to slow down the opening of bars, now seeing in the aftermath of how quickly the coronavirus spread in the bar setting," he said in an interview with KVIA”