View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 07:03 AM   #17
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNorth View Post
The assumption you've now stated twice that states prohibiting sleepaway camps are states currently experiencing worse covid conditions thann states allowing them is incorrect. For example, New York, which was initially the worst covid state but has made the greatest strides to stem it, has forbidden sleepaway camps, while Texas, in the midst of a surge which is overwhelming hospitals, is nevertheless permitting them to open. In other words, kids from New York going to out of state camps are far less likely to be bringing covid with them than kids from Texas going to either Texas or out of state camps. A result of Texas' policy:

https://www.cbs19.tv/article/news/lo...5-da9ef6de0a9b
Not exactly.

So in your opinion NY has taken the greatest strides to stem the spread of this virus. OK let's take that at face value as being 100% accurate. Part of that has been to prohibit the operation of sleepaway camps right? SO how is it that circumventing this by sending kids out of state is still adhering to great strides being taken to stem the spread? Even if they don't bring it with them (again taking your assertion this would be true) they have supposedly a great chance of exposure going to states where these same practices are not in place, have not been in place and thus increasing their chance of being exposed and bringing it back home. Hence my illustration of hypocrisy.

Far as Texas goes, they have opted to not be a nanny state. They have put guidance (not mandates) out there and allowed people increased freedom to do as they please. Everyone knows what the risk factors are, everyone can put on their big boy pants and make a decision as to what they think it best for themselves, their families and most importantly their businesses. This is the way it should be. I certainly put a lot more confidence in the average joe to make these decisions for themselves than I do to some moron elected official to do it "for us".