View Single Post
Old 06-11-2006, 08:08 PM   #61
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Exclamation Cell Tower Applicant - From the Headlines

Well Skip, I give credit where credit is due. I might need one of those "cards" if I write everything I want to about Industrial Communications and Electronics (ICE) the applicant for the Alton Cell towers - and their co-founder and President, Francis "Frank" DiRico. However, right now I'll present items from the FREE portion of the Boston Globe archives at http://Boston.com the complete articles are available for a fee or free to registered home delivery subscribers - login or register at https://verify1.newsbank.com/cgi-bin/ncom/BG/ec_signin (or try your local library).

You can see these items (as below) and others on-line at: ICE Towers from Globe archives

A TALE OF TALL TOWERS BUSINESSMAN SKIRTS THE LAW
Published on February 14, 1993
Author(s): David Arnold and Michael Grunwald, GLOBE STAFF

Francis J. DiRico, who owns the controversial new 700-foot communications tower in Quincy and says he operates ''totally by the book'' when complying with local regulations, owns and operates a tower in Miami without a legal occupancy permit. He also owns towers in Foxborough and Farmington, N.H., that are taller than town permits allow. DiRico's 1,044-foot communications tower in Miami, which became operational last year, does not.....
complete article available to subscribers http://Boston.com(1164 words)

FOXBOROUGH DEBATES EXTRA TOWER HEIGHT
Published on April 22, 1993
Author(s): Michael Grunwald, Globe Staff

FOXBOROUGH -- An embattled radio communications entrepreneur will have to wait a month before this town's zoning board of appeals decides whether to allow him to maintain a transmission tower at a height 115 feet taller than his original building permit allowed. At a public hearing last night, Francis J. DiRico, president of Industrial Communications and Electronics of Kingston and the owner of a controversial 700-foot tower in Quincy, was greeted by a storm of criticism from.......
(405 words) for complete article see the Boston Globe archives.

TOWER EXTENSION RAISES CONTROVERSY ZONING BOARD TO RULE ON VIOLATION
Published on May 16, 1993
Author(s): Michael Grunwald, Globe Staff

FOXBOROUGH -- Sheila Cloutier was a bit upset about the aesthetics of the 450-foot transmission tower looming above her Hill Street home. She was a bit worried about the tower's possible health effects. And she was a bit irked about her increasingly lousy TV reception, which she blamed on radio microwaves transmitted from the metallic monolith on Dudley Hill. But Cloutier was downright furious about the murky process by which Industrial Communications & Electronics.........
complete article (930 words)

As I recall after the Foxboro tower was first built, it grew over 100 feet without permits. I'm sure it's another reason ICE has developed their business (more vertical real estate - antenna space rental) and probably has many happy customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp
The people who want to build these cell towers for us are doing us a huge favor.
I personally have trouble putting that sentence together with Industrial Communications and Electronics.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.