Old 06-09-2006, 08:58 AM   #55
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Lightbulb Clarifications

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp
Originally Posted by Airwaves
Skip of SQ writes:
I am saying that even though the "wave of the future" or "the time is at hand" for cellphones, in a marine environment they have a much more limited use (value) than a Marine radio.
Airwaves was NOT quoting me in that post #48 - those were the words of Airwaves (credit where credit is due). If I wanted to talk about preparing for the "wave of the future" I'd be promoting Marine VHF DSC. It's here and it works. But I have no problem with adding more cell coverage around the Lake. I have questions about HOW it is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp to Skip
Hmmm...okay are you going to keep us guessing or "fess up"??? MP, EMT, Police, Fire..."what" are you? Does your avatar give us the answer?

You make some excellent points, Skip. Yours is the first post that really explained a lot of the issues I did not understand or have not learned about...
Right on mjp. Skip has unique knowledge, talents and abilities. I enjoy his participation in the forum.
Was Skip making you guess? Check out the archives and you might learn a bit more about Skip. As to "what" he is? In my opinion, Skip is a gentleman and a friend. An impartial, credible, level headed well respected expert. He is a communications enthusiast, fellow boater and forum member. He's a HAM Radio Operator and probably a few other things too.

Thanks for the information and another great post Skip.

By the way mjp, if the responders were working on patients in your basement, I assume that they were below ground level and under the house/cottage. I would expect cellular and 2-way radio coverage to be worse there than at your dock.

I too carry a cell phone and a Marine Radio on board - again, my choice.

I'm still trying to compose a post about Industrial Communications and Electronics (ICE) the applicant for the proposed towers. The Quote in mcdude's thread starter (from the letter to the Editor in The Baysider), "This is a ruse and deception" is a topic I feel needs further investigation.

Let's hope the rain stops for a bit so I have a reason to get outside and off the computer

When regular communications systems fail, HAM RADIO works. for information about this great communications hobby visit: Ham Radio

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.