View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 06:17 PM   #48
Airwaves

Skip of SQ writes:
Quote:
I live in an area where I can SEE several cell towers and I have dropped calls and no signal sometimes. It happens in isolated areas and in major population areas with lots of cell towers as well.
I can attest to this, as someone who is forced to commute along Storrow Drive on a daily basis, I know it is terrible for cell phone communication.
Go figure.

MJP, I am not arguing against the use of Cellphones on boats in an emergency. I am not arguing against the need for more cell towers.

I am saying that even though the "wave of the future" or "the time is at hand" for cellphones, in a marine environment they have a much more limited use (value) than a Marine radio.

Yes, I carry a cellphone with me on board. I also have a marine radio.

I have come to the assistance of other boaters once or twice while I was on the lake during the spring salmon season in years past. It happened when the Marine Patrol had limited or no boats on the water at the time. Why? Because I heard them call for help.

They didn't call me on my cell.

Waterbaby wrote:
Quote:
I was not asked to be a party to these conversations, but I was made one by said people choosing to carry on their telephone conversations in public, in the grocery store, where they are surrounded by people trying to mind their own business and get their shopping done. I actually consider these public conversations an intrusion into my own life.
I agree! But the discussion that I thought we were having has to do with the lack of cell phone coverage ON THE LAKE for EMERGENCY purposes.
Any store can ask patrons to not use cell phones and to turn them off when they enter the premises.

BTW, it is ILLEGAL to listen in on cell phone conversations via scanners etc.

edited to include the response to Waterbaby that I had forgotten to include originally (sorry WB)

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-08-2006 at 07:06 PM.