View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 04:21 PM   #45
Winni

Unhappy Who's choice? Your's or mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby
I can understand using cells for emergencies, but for everyday use? I have heard conversations that should have been kept private, ...I actually consider these public conversations an intrusion into my own life.
Your mixing up the opportunity to use a phone by choice with people having poor judgement.

Quote:
I think there should be fines levied if a boat driver is using a cell phone, as a boat can be more dangerous than a wheeled vehicle if the driver is distracted by talking on the phone...
100% agreed. Again...it's about judgement.

Quote:
Where is the relaxation time? Where is the private time? And where is the family time?
Whoa now...why aren't all the Live Free or Die-hards flipping over this one? Again, isn't that personal choice? We haven't closed all the cigarette factories even though it disgusts me to have to walk through someones exhaled smoke so I can go inside a store. We haven't forced all the motorcyclists to wear helmets so my insurance rates will stay low (i.e. less injuries/deaths/agony to the "other" person [non-cyclist] involved in the accident). Ditto on the absent adult seat belt law. I could go on and on.

So, it's okay to have "choice" only if it suits you?

"Skipper": I'm actually pretty good at sitting in my kayak and reporting on a cell phone an accident I've seen, laying over my flipped kayak and using a cell phone (never had to try this particular maneuver but have managed more difficult chores in this position), or using a cell phone as a passenger in a motor boat....etc.) Thanks for the info on the locator progress, but the thing is, it is coming, so why not be ready to use it? Also, that is not a good argument against having cell phone coverage available now. Having locator service is just an added plus when we get it!

"McDude": I just don't think it will be that noticeable! We aren't talking about towers "ringing" the Lake. You couldn't find anyone who loves NH forests and lakes more than I (and, yes, I do do something about it beyond just talk about it, so whoever said that can, uh, stick it in their hat?). But, to the point (see my picture a few posts ago), I just don't see how a few feet of pine-tree-looking tower sticking above the treeline is comparable to what the electric/land line/cable companies have done! If we approve these two towers we will be done on this end of the Lake; there will not be more "ringing" the Lake.