View Single Post
Old 06-08-2006, 08:10 AM   #43
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Smile E911 cell location - Wet phones and dropped service

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJP
Regarding the above statements:

* The entire state, I believe, and if not the whole state at least most of it, has E911 locator capability. {snip}

* Kayakers have for a long time now kept their cell phones in little waterproof and floatable containers attached to their person. {snip}

* The final statement above, "...cell service is not always available and calls do get dropped and lost," is just one more great reason to get the towers! Let's fix the problem in the best possible way! {snip} No one is saying not to have marine radios if you want them; we're just saying why not make today's most common communication method as available as possible? Sigh.....
I was trying to keep my message brief but I guess I wasn't specific enough.

Wireless E911 location system (phase 1) is indeed working in many areas. Phase One provides your cell number and the location of the cell TOWER handling your call to the 911 operator. That could put you in a large area inside many square miles. You need a GPS to provide specific location.

Wireless E911 location PHASE TWO is the system that aims at pinpointing your position within 300 meters. I do not believe that phase 2 is available around the Lake (or many other places) even though the FCC deadline was set for 6 months ago (and has since been extended). I haven't followed this as closely as I could have. Cingular and Verizon are each developing independent methods to meet the E911 cellular location mandate but it is still in progress. If you have more updated info about pinpointing cell users please enlighten me (us).

* I was not clear enough regarding cell phones and water. Of course I am aware of the waterproof pouches used to store cell phones and other items. Some plastics bags claim that you can use the item while it is still inside (albeit kind of muffled). I'm talking about USING them in very wet conditions. Communicating in very wet splash situations is better done using a device designed to be used in that environment. That is, an appropriate marine radio, not the average cell phone. Sure you can paddle to a dock or beach and find a calm or dry spot to use your cell but if you are out in the broads and need to call for help, your cell phone may not be the best choice.

* Dropped calls are a great reason to get more towers? Sorry to disagree here. While more cell sites can help, I live in an area where I can SEE several cell towers and I have dropped calls and no signal sometimes. It happens in isolated areas and in major population areas with lots of cell towers as well. Many reasons including cell LOCK OUT (no available channels). I'm not against cell phones (or towers), they have their place as do Marine Radios.

When it comes to locating someone in distress: I can find someone who is using a Marine VHF radio with simple direction finding techniques. Ham Radio operators have made a sport of finding hidden transmitters - we've been doing it for eons. We can not home-in on digital cell phone users.

The topic of WHO puts up the cell towers is something I'll address in another message later tonight (with pictures). McDude's thread starter has some interesting quotes that are important to explore.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.