View Single Post
Old 03-01-2022, 03:07 PM   #22
Riviera

John,

With all due respect, you are providing well articulated gobbledygook. As I alluded to in my prior post, the code requirements for window protective opening devices has nothing to do with rentals, and nothing to do with vinyl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Architects design windows to be above the 2' floor to sill threshold... since they have no idea whether you will use the window manufacturer as prescribed in the plan. So unless someone renovates the sill heights... they should all meet the 2' threshold. This keeps designs and grades from being altered in the future in such a way as to violate the 6' rule.
Architects often design homes with 2nd floor windows that have a sill height lower than 2 feet, particularly on higher end homes where a view is important. In that case, code requires the opening protection.

Quote:
The usual situation is a residential home that is then being used as a commercial... with a vinyl, the manufacturers that I have used have a field application option, while the others require the WOCD to be factory installed.
Huh? A home that is being used as commercial? Whether or not the device is field installed or factory installed is irrelevant. The window material is also irrelevant. If you are building a new residential home, and you don't meet the height/opening exemptions, you need the device in order to comply with the code. Period.

Quote:
I've quoted a lot of windows for a lot of houses, and the WOCD option is seldom needed. That being because the 2' rule was initial followed in the framing.
I'm sure there are a high percentage of new builds that meet the 2' sill height threshold. That said, this section of the code is often ignored or overlooked by architects, builders, and/or code officials. It doesn't help when building supply professionals provide mis-leading or incorrect information on internet forums.

Quote:
In fact, I will not name the well known builder that had a customer request the WOCD and because the windows were all the same size, accidently placed almost all the WOCD units on the first floor... that is how I learned the little trick on the vinyl windows.
I don't understand the vinyl "trick". Given the error, the solution is either to move the windows to the correct location, or install retrofit devices that comply with code. The window material is irrelevant. Builders screw up all the time, reputable or otherwise. The reputable ones fix it. The non-reputable ones make excuses.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. I'm simply suggesting that as a building supply professional, you need to be careful to either post accurate facts relevant to your profession, or don't post at all. Somebody might just make a bad purchase based on these statements, and your employer would not be happy.

For those reading the forums, "trust but verify". The trust portion is optional, and at your own risk.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote