View Single Post
Old 04-01-2008, 02:20 PM   #55
Mark

Arrow A "real native" has a response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirs guy View Post
indigenous (from Merriam Webster online) :
1. having originated in and being produced, growing, living, or occurring naturally in a particular region or environment
2 : innate, inborn
So yes, white mans dictionary tells me I'm indigenous. Does Chief Fulla Bull contend his people popped out of the dirt on Tower Hill, or did his people move here at one time too?
Chief Fulla Bull heard the words and questions from the crooked tongues. He said he looked over that Lady’s book (Merriam of Merriam-Webster – I didn’t bother to explain). You and her book call yourselves native. But you do not give all the meanings. BTW, he said he knows what Merriam means by inborn.

Number 10 on the same list of meanings is Native American: of, relating to or being a member of an aboriginal people of North or South America. His ancestors fit that definition of native too, how about you?

The Chief reads that Merriam has another word for native on that same page, it is aboriginal. Your word for being the first or earliest of its kind present in a region. That is his people. Chief Fulla Bull went on to say that Merriam would call him aboriginal the first or original natives. You do not fit that meaning.

Someone suggesting Indians might believe Native Americans popped out of the dirt on Tower Hill brings a curious laugh from Chief Fulla Bull. He knows how people got here. It wasn't the stork that bought an influx of newcomers either . He said you have no words to explain the origins of his ancestors as it has been passed down for hundreds of generations.

He has heard crooked tongue tales that his people came from monkeys and of people called Adam and Eve but those are not Indian names or theories passed down from his ancestors. We wouldn’t understand the true meaning of the Chief’s words of explanation.

He did say that his people lived near the lake because the Great Spirit made it that way, like the mountains the sky the butterfly and all other things. Like the maize or corn. The Great Spirit made it all including the smiling waters that the newcomers combined to make Lake Winnipesaukee.

Chief shakes his head, says Ugh and talks about the real invaders. The ones we call natives. They took the land. Killed off all the bison, and made many changes. His people did not pollute and even limited smoke signals (not like the text messaging today). The Chief’s natives did not clear cut acres or whole forests. They enjoyed the peace and silence of the area and only made noise on special occasions. They were not afraid to canoe and on and on he went…

He even thought it odd that we have a special day to honor foolishness but not one to reflect on the way of his world before the invaders crossed the borders.

I believe that Chief Fulla Bull thinks his ancestors were the first real natives in this area.