View Single Post
Old 07-14-2010, 02:25 PM   #19
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have had many dogs of many breeds never one that I would say didn't like the water and boats.... Sure there are some that are more into then others but usually as long as they are with there owners most dogs are happy on board a boat, and by the water.

Now as for swimming, not all dogs enjoy swimming as mentioned Husky's, Malamutes, and sled dogs in particular don't always like getting wet, you will also find this true of many smaller dogs... Retriever, Setters, Spaniels etc. are bread for this activity... and if you want a big old slobbering dog Newfoundlands are the best water dogs from what I here, they where actually bread as water rescue dogs.

AS for boats, its a mater of getting the dogs used to the boat.. some dogs want to ride with their noses in the air, some just want to lay at your feet, they are all different. Once again as long as they are with you they are fine.

Now some further notes, as some of my neighbors have found out there are some breeds that may like boats and may enjoy the water, but it might not like them....For instance, corgi don't really seem to be able to swim in the water, they don't sink, but they don't really move either. If they fall in Plan to go after them.... The legs are just to short.... Basset hounds... are interesting too... they sink... yep right to the bottom... saw this happen with two different basset hounds..... the worst part was one of them just kept walking deeper... Anyways once again be ready to jump in after them...

Finally, spend time with your dog getting them used to the water. Yes most of them can intuitively swim. But some swim better then others... Some will only go in on request, while others, will be wet when ever they can reach the lake. The bottom line, Know your pet...

Oh ya by the way.... just picked up a Springer Spaniel... my second one... Hopefully this one, will learn to jump off the dock....