View Single Post
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM   #7
Argie's Wife

I'd recommend you consider dog-types (Retrievers, Spaniels, Water Dogs, and Hounds) and then narrow down your considerations based on coat-length you're willing to deal with, size of the dog, general temperament, etc.

If you can, adopt vs. buy the dog. There's many strays needing help and animal rescues are overloaded, as you can imagine.

NH Humane Society - Laconia

Lakes Region Humane Society - Ossippee

Concord-Merrimack County SPCA - Penacook

New England Basset Hound Rescue - Raymond

Petfinder - National

Adopt-A-Pet - National

It is with reservations that I recommend you also try Craig's List. Because some people have misrepresented themselves and the pet they are trying to re-home or sell, the Pets classified ads have a bad reputation. I do believe there are folks on there who honestly are trying to do their best for a pet they are rehoming. I would NOT recommend buying a dog from Craig's List.

If you opt to buy, I would recommend that you go to the AKC website, find the list of breeders for your desired breed of dog or go to that breed's society or fancier's website. I do not recommend puppy.com or those types of site - back yard breeders, in other words.

I'm excite for you - being able to open up your home and heart to a dog is a great opportunity! Best of luck in your search!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post: