View Single Post
Old 05-13-2022, 06:16 PM   #55
Weekend Pundit

Exclamation Not Exactly The Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Yes, is pretty much the rule in the lakes region that local town beaches are strictly for residents, only.

Is the case at Moultonborough neck/bridge beach, at Center Harbor beach below the hardware store, at Meredith's Leavitt Park/Beach, at Laconia's only town beach with lifeguards, Bond Beach-Opechee Bay, and at the longest natural beach at 1100' on Lake Winnipesaukee, the Gilford town beach. All exclusive to non-residents and non-property-taxpayers.

Everywhere you go in the lakes regions, all the town beaches are exclusive.
If you define residents as those who own property in the specific town even if they are only in town seasonally, then yes, the beaches are for residents only...with some exceptions.

Gilford has two different types of beach passes that allow non-residents access to the town beach, with one being a guest pass that is tied to one specific vehicle, the pass being obtained by a town resident. This allows for those visiting residents access without the need to use the resident's vehicle which has the town sticker allowing entry.

The second type is a season pass which costs $500. Only one such pass can be obtained by a residential property owner. Notice I said property owner. That means those with Short Term Rental properties like those listed by AirBnB and VRBO can buy them, including the corporate-owned STRs. I don't know how that's going to work out for the town. I have a feeling if it's a disaster this summer the season pass will either go away or be severely restricted.

Update: The only non-residents that have regular access to our town beach are non-resident town employees. It is one of the perks of being employed by the town. I have no idea if any of the other towns do something like this.

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 05-15-2022 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Add some clarification!
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote