View Single Post
Old 11-28-2021, 11:21 AM   #38
SailinAway

Default Replace the Covid subforum with a Neighbor Helping Neighbor forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
From the Posting Rules (in the FAQ): "Your question or comment must be relevant to Lakes Region tourism, activities or topics." From the Posting Guidelines (in the FAQ): "Only post messages, pictures and comments that are directly related to Lakes Region topics and activities." From the Overview (in the FAQ): "We insist that posts are relevant to the Lakes Region of New Hampshire."
Thank you very much for this information. I did search the FAQs and didn't find those specific rules.

Are you saying that COVID-19 is not an appropriate topic for this website? If so, why is there a Covid forum?

Or are you saying that Covid topics are OK but they should pertain specifically to the Lakes Region? In that case, why haven't non-Lakes Region Covid threads been removed?

I see numerous threads that aren't related to the Lakes Region in, for example, home maintenance and automotive. I would hate to see those threads go as I've personally benefitted from members' expertise in those subforums.

I would be in favor of restricting the Covid subforum to Lakes Region topics of a practical nature like "Where can I get a vaccination in Gilford?" My reasons:

(1) It would end the spread of false information, like pandemic denial, that is a threat to public safety.
(2) Seeing the dark underbelly of human nature displayed in the Covid forum is depressing. I assume that the Winnipesaukee forum was originally intended to be uplifting. The Covid subforum is a downer.
(3) The Covid forum has driven a wedge between people.
(4) It projects a negative image of people in this area.

I would not like to see more policing of other subforums for Lakes Region content. If I live in the Lakes Region (I do), own a house here (I do), and have a home maintenance problem that forum members can answer, it's very valuable for me to be able to access their expertise. Members have also expressed that answering such questions is something they like to do. Contrary to the Covid subforum, the home maintenance and automotive forums have brought people together.

Along these same lines, I would really like to see a new subforum called Neighbor Helping Neighbor. Not everyone in the Lakes Region is well to do or has ready access to necessary services. Some are senior citizens, live alone, are in poor health, etc. A Neighbor Helping Neighbor subforum would allow people to ask for what they need and others to offer whatever they have to share (expertise, time, labor, things they no longer need and want to rehome).

Wouldn't that be much better than trading insults in the Covid subforum?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post: