View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #15
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Posts #4,6 and 7 lead me to believe that a leaking pontoon is not as unusual as might be the case with other types of boats. Two weeks ago, the folks working on my dock called a welder out from Gilford to fix their leaking pontoon on my beach. Unusual to me, so I give 4,6 &7 credibility. The earlier posts refer to a (singular) drain plug. If they are all compartmented, wouldn't there be several plugs, one for each compartment? Plugs on the bottom don't make sense to me, so, access from the top to pump out each compartment?).
There are several vented plugs, one for each compartment on the top of the pontoon normally. Every manufacturer is different. Some of the older pontoons have a plug in the rear bottom of the pontoon as well.

Regarding leaks...I guess I should clarify, Pontoons don't leak because of waves or rough water...I would guess 90% of pontoon leaks are caused by mishandling during storage. I see many valet marina's set their pontoon boats right on the ground with nothing underneath them. This causes undue stress on the pontoons. The proper way is to put cribbing dunnage under the structural part of the pontoon (where the circular welds are and internal compartment supports are).

Another issue I have seen is not draining the condensation that occurs before cold winter storage. Water seeps in corners and crevices of the welds and can pop the weld when frozen.

The center pontoon on many of these tri-toons you see is completely open on the top and the inside is used for storage. Mine has a bilge pump in the center rear of the tube which should be run before navigating to remove any rain water that has collected. It's amazing how much water gets in there after a simple rain storm!

I have never seen a pontoon boat sink...Have you?

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-29-2020 at 11:35 AM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post: