View Single Post
Old 03-30-2020, 09:40 AM   #9
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterh View Post
Went up to my house this weekend and turned on my outdoor shower. Never do it this early but the 10 day weather report looked good and I love to use it. Back home now and see it may get into mid 20's at night for the next few days. Do pipes generally burst that quickly at those temps? The days will be in 40's. Do I need to head back and shut it down. I am talking about the outdoor section. Not worried about whats inside.
What is important to know, is what are your pipes made out of, for that outdoor shower, and is it somewhere where it gets good sunlight.

PEX / cooper / PVC piping all have different amounts of elasticity, and thus will rupture at different points.....

If you outdoor shower gets plenty of light, the water will heat up, and thus will not freeze the instant the thermometer dips below freezeing......

I have had my system freeze up one... and was amazed that I didn't have a rupture.... Of course I also didn't have running water, until the sun was out long enough to melt the pockets of ice that had formed.

Bottom line is putting the water in early has a fair amount of risks, if you like gambling, and don't mind a repair once in a while, no big deal....