Thread: Boat crash
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 05:21 PM   #98
kawishiwi

Default Disheartening

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
You could do that but when you live on an island that’s easier said than done. This time of year is very restricting if you can’t be out after 4:30. Maybe you should do things differently instead. Like having a set of battery powered lights. Like having a flashlight. Like having a gps when the blinking lights have been removed. Like changing the bow light and stern lights to led to eliminate blown bulbs. In the early spring you should boat differently when the water is freezing and when there’s a lot of stuff floating in the lake. You just have to be ready for what could happen. This would probably be a better new topic and we might all learn something new. For example, i’ll have battery running lights next season just in case. I learned that in this thread.
All good ideas, but its a bit jarring to know that all involved were seasoned islanders and this still happened.
I thought fishing into the evening sounded attractive. The results were cetainly worth it but the 'easy' ride home was not. Even in good clear weather and running just on plane it seemed too fast for comfort. The first nav lights I saw were ASTONISHGLY close and it seemed they came out of nowhere. I was off plane the rest of the way in. An unlit canoe or kayak could slip under your keel too easily. Yeah, it would be largely "their" fault but I dont want to live with that regardless.