View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #85
Justenuff

Default Hot Dog Ranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy Cover View Post
Glad to see that others recognize Teo's and it's fun to reminisce. Here's a bit of hot dog history for you. In the 50's in Pittsfield MA there was a famous bar & luncheonette on Linden St. officially called the Linden Lunch but everyone called it the Hot Dog Ranch. That's where I started getting 2 hot dogs and a Nehi for 25 cents. I preferred Nehi orange or red cream. (btw-- remember that Radar on Mash drank Nehi?).

Teo Bilia was a salesman/route driver for the company that made the rolls for the hot dogs and saw the Linden Lunch's volume so he started Teo's in what was a Tastee Freeze. The Linden lunch closed shortly afterward. Teo's wife and my mom worked together before she (Ms. Bilia) left to run the restaurant while Teo continued to sell bread & rolls. Unfortunately Teo died in the mid 60's (I think) and the Mrs. sold the business which has continued to prosper.

When we go back to Pittsfield we always return with 25 to 50 hot dogs for family and friends here.
Great History, I never knew the connection
I used to go to the Hot Dog Ranch as well. My buddy and I used to go for lunch because he worked at Pittsfield Supply (his father owned the store) and we could walk across the parking lot. Sometimes we went to the Lantern Restaurant.

Got my first legal beers at both Teos and the Hot Dog Ranch.
Justenuff is offline   Reply With Quote