View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 01:26 PM   #17
SailinAway

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
This is a matter of psychology. Those who prosper in cold climates, such as those in Scandinavian countries (who have much lower rates of seasonal depression), have a different perspective: the weather allows them to do activities that warm weather doesn't.

For example, you appreciate that warm weather allows you to boat while I appreciate that cold weather allows me to winter hike, snowshoe, ice skate, take sleigh rides, tube and ski, sit by a warm fire and drink hot cocoa, etc.

Add to that that Florida is so goddamn flat—precluding mountain biking, hiking, backpacking, etc.—and there's not much to do other than be hot and old.

JK, of course, but people definitely have to find their happiness...and mindset is a major aspect of that.
Hilarious! I used to detest winter, until I learned to ski at age 50. I'm sure tropical landscapes are beautiful, but nothing beats going up the lift at Gunstock the morning after a heavy snowfall. The evergreens and snow contrast against the bright blue sky. You get to the top and look down on Winnipesaukee and the mountains beyond. You glide down the mountain in big S curves with that view all the way down.

To me a livable climate is one where you can go outdoors in relative comfort most of the year. That rules out an awful lot of days in Florida. Would you rather go hiking in Florida when it's 90 degrees with 95% humidity, or in New Hampshire when it's 30 degrees and sunny?

Gotta run---temperature is up to 20 in the sun, warm enough for a lovely walk in the woods.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote