View Single Post
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #9
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
I know nothing about snowmobiles, been on one once years ago. In looking at the web cams I see very few snowmobile tracks. So I was wondering how difficult is it to ride on top of deep fluffy snow. Do you get bogged down or is it just a s...load of snow in your face. I realize that once it is packed down it is ideal (especially for cooling) but if you get hit with another foot of snow Sunday will people have problems getting through it.
Believe it or not most sleds do fine in the deep snow however... yes they can get stuck and with this much snow yes you can bury them pretty good.

The key to deep snow riding is get a good head start BEFORE you venture into the deep stuff and whatever you do don't stop! 1 or 2 feet isn't so bad but when it's deeper than that you really have to be on the throttle or you'll auger in and be stuck.

Now that being said there are a number of different configurations you can get for a sled which will make a world of difference in the deep snow. Weight and track length are two key elements. The idea is you need good floatation and ample "grip" on the snow. The lighter you are and the more track you have the better off you'll be in the deep stuff. However those light machines royally suck if you wanted to go for a long trail ride as they just don't handle very well on a groomed trail. Certain characteristics so make subtle differences all around. Like anything though there is no magic combination everything is a compromise. That's why for me I have two machines. Both are very different but depending on where I go and the type of riding I will be doing determines which one I hop on.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote