View Single Post
Old 11-01-2023, 04:07 AM   #36
ApS

Lightbulb Think Big...

We've forgotten that the Big Lake falls within "The Winnipesaukee Basin"? (And that NOT all waste arrives in the lake through home septic systems--but from boats).

All leachates follow gravity from homes at higher elevations than just the lakefront mansions. I've noticed a second tier of home-building behind the usual McMansions. (One within a stone's-throw of me can be rented-out to as many as five families at once!)

Home septic system designs were based on Massachusetts models, a state whose soil is comprised of much less granite than New Hampshire's.

The comprehensive answer is the routing all basin-wide waste waters. How else to exclude dishwasher soaps and water-softening salts from our collective leachate?

Hard to believe, but some here assailed my years-earlier answer of sending all septic systems' discharges to the sewage plant in Franklin--even if that meant that submerged pipelines must be sent across the lake's deepest parts. If Franklin is at full capacity, that must also be addressed.

If NH had started a Federal grant process back then, this poisoning of our lakewaters would be old news. (Instead of the usual periodic distress signals).

Sure, some "spot-cleansing" would be necessary among the entire Winnipesaukee Basin's warm and shallow areas, but more shading of these areas using conifers (particularly White Pine) should be encouraged--if not mandated. (Deciduous tree-leaves make up much of the lake's "phosphorus-laden sediments").

Any other answer will be comprised of half-measures.

Last edited by ApS; 11-01-2023 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Franklin's full capacity...
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote