View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #32
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

This is an hard issue to deal with, mostly because it is more based in emotion in most cases. When my parents bought our camp, I knew the long term prognosis was that eventually, I will have to buy my siblings out to maintain the property.
So with that I had to also come to realization, that until such time as I can by my siblings out, I may have to pay more the costs for maintaining the place.

I have made peace with those realizations. Because I know that if we sell the property on Lake Winnipesaukee, I will never buy on the lake again. Not necessarily because I wouldn't be able to financially afford to.... But because the lake has changed so much, that I would want to move on to a new lake, that had the atmosphere Winnipesaukee used to have.

Don't get me wrong Winnipesaukee is a beautiful lake and always will be... But it has become over grown, with huge houses, and manicured lawns... This is simply not my idea of getting away from it all. My yard is sand, my camp is small, and I have trees that I don't take down unless I have too.... I can find plenty of lakes where I am not the only one that thinks like that.

So why am I rambling like this, well its a message, If you keep the camp understand why you are doing and what the costs might be... I know what my costs are to keep my families current camp, and am at piece with it... If my siblings and I ever decide to sell, I have rationalized through that situation as well.

Will I be disappointed if eventually we need to sell yes, but on the flipside, I also know what plan B is, and that is just as exciting finding a new lake to get to know....