View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 02:44 PM   #52
Weekend Pundit

Default Going through the channel at above headway speed

I do have to confess that I once went through the Weirs Channel on plane...but my ground speed was around 6MPH!

It was one sometime around 2008(?) when we had a cool and wet summer and early fall. The current through the channel was around 17 knots with plenty of turbulance and I was headed from Paugus Bay out on to the lake on my way to Glendale to pull my boat out for the season.

At slightly above idle and an indicated speed of just below 10MPH, I stopped moving forward as I approached the channel. After about 10 minutes of trying different approaches I realized I wasn't going to make it through at headway speed. It was just around then that an MP boat came through the channel from the lake and into Paugus Bay. He saw my dilemma and swung his boat around and got on his loudhailer, telling me to use whatever speed I needed to get through the channel. He then turned away and headed south towards the bay.

I throttled up and by the time I made it too the Channel Cottages I was on plane and making my way up the channel and out on to the lake.

That was the only time I ever broke that law in the channel....that I am aware of.
Weekend Pundit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weekend Pundit For This Useful Post: