View Single Post
Old 12-26-2021, 12:19 PM   #4
John Mercier

Those are #2, or sometimes worse. They were $3.50.

NH's only real commodity is wood. Though they list ''agriculture'' as our third highest industry... it is almost all wood.

So as that item dropped from your $5.48 down to $3.50, lumber producing states took a hit on their ''agricultural'' ledger. Now that it is back up, the part of the ledger will return.

TransparentNH has the tourism number up about 8.7% over the third quarter period of 2020. If they are comparing it to the summer before the pandemic, then the numbers would be the decline due to tourism.

Our best tourism numbers came just prior to the pandemic and have not recovered. But the largest summer tourism (3rd quarter) - which makes up the greatest share of our annual tourism - is generated by the seacoast... with the Lakes Region coming in second... and the Mount Washington Valley coming in third.

The traffic situation in Meredith seems to be generated by the location of the I93 access in New Hampton and the amount of build out of Moultonborough.
Being one of the few public boat ramps onto Lake Winnipesaukee makes it worse... and then the crosswalk from the Mill to the public docks increases the situation. Add in the location of the grocery store/etc and you get that sort of traffic snarl.

Same thing happens in Tilton between Market Basket, Walmart, and the I93 access.

I went into Bristol for lunch one day, and noticed they seem to have the same problem in downtown Bristol... though not sure of all the factors on why being new to that area.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote