View Single Post
Old 06-30-2021, 10:32 PM   #15
chasedawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
The OP doesn't give results, nor did we hear of any mishaps in the news. While I don't want to diminish the folly of venturing out in a known storm condition, I can think of a few simple, easy, safety plans.
For example, When I was last there, Melvin Island had a bunkhouse. A short distance to secure the boats and get indoors. Also a short distance to any number of main land docks between Chase Point and the camp. Tome, the best the fire boat or MP could do would be to tow the sailboats to the nearest shore. Trying to transfer people from one boat to another in a storm is not a good plan. With this in mind, I'd expect the camp to have a power boat on standby anytime a group of campers leaves their home cove.

I'm not a sailor, but isn't a two masted sailboat, capable of carrying 12 people grounded?

I'm curious as to what actually transpired during and after the storm, not just speculation about potential dangers.
Descant.... I am still collecting information from all parties the fire chief, Camp Belknap and neighbors who witness and were concerned watching the 20 campers get caught in a storm that was predicted all day on many apps.

Your reference stating "few easy safety plans" I might agree if there were safety plans already in place. The best safety plan in my many years in Search and Recue on Lake Erie and head lifeguarding service is to not take risks by going out into storms with anyone. Especially when the forecast is calling for storms. And in this case the storm clouds and lightening were very visible.

You referenced a shelter on Melvin Island. I have kayaked there and watched Belknap campers travel there by canoe I don't recall any bunk house on that small footprint of an island... mostly room for only tents. But I am be wrong since I have not paddled out to Melvin in a couple of years. Are you maybe confusing with the other Melvin Islands on Winni? And Yes they have chase boats out all the time when the smaller sailboats are out. In this incidence they were not to be seen before or after the storm.

That doesn't matter at this point. I was just responding to your ideas and suggestions. The MP and Tuftonboro fireboat were on scene and took care of the situation. It is unfortunate they had to be called. What matters is why did this happen and what is being done to correct this kind of negligence.

Here is an update... Camp Belknap is very concerned. I got a call from a CB board member. We had a interesting conversation. I was very appreciative of their attempt to reach out to the neighbors to get a pulse and understanding of obviously issues that have been on social media for over two years now.

There are four sides to any story. I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the two major parties. The rest will fall in place in time. I welcome any more input from other parties of interest to provide more input. My goal as I told the CB board member is to help mediate and help cool things down. They have gotten so far out of hand. And it doesn't need to be this way.
chasedawg is offline   Reply With Quote