View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 03:33 PM   #35
mswlogo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveLakeLife View Post
If you have guns would you turn them in if the government asked you? It would make things safer if everyone did that. If you were a coal miner and the government asked to you quit your job and move cross country to attach solar panels would you do that? It’s an inconvenience but it’s for the greater good after all. Don’t you care about others.

Forgive the sarcasm in making my point but it really is a logical extension of your philosophy. My philosophy is that liberty is more important than safety. A lot of people disagree. I think that In colonial times about a third of the colonists were loyal to the Crown. Back then everyone looked forward to the end of the Revolutionary War. Today we all look forward to the end of the China virus. Thankfully it will come soon and you won’t need to decide if you’ll comply if e.g., your local Board of Health says you must wear masks for firemen more years.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Not that I agree with you, this was a great post and I mean that. Even though you picked a horrible example because I absolutely loath guns . But I understood your point.

I think your post does shine a clear light on our differences of opinion. And you have every right to have your opinion and I respect your opinion, even though I don't agree with it. We can agree to disagree with out beating each other up.

But, like it or not, we live in a balanced country.

Government demands you pay taxes and I assume you do Government demands you get your car inspected and you have to pay for it and I assume you do. Because you know it's for the greater good. We need schools, roads, fire departments and not have to worry about being run over by a junk heap that has no brakes or headlights.

It sounds like you'd take the vaccine today, if offered, maybe that's big assumption. But if it was mandated by government it sounds like you wouldn't (because liberty trumps safety). Just because the Government made a logical choice.

We live in a commonwealth. We all wouldn't have what we have if there wasn't a lot of "for the greater good thinking" in the past. Along with a balance of liberties.

To me, a mask for 5 years is a better than a ventilator for 2 months. It's common sense. Maybe masks are 25% efficacy, they help.

There was confusion in the begging around masks. Because there was concerns that folks didn't know how to use them. You'd touch something infected then touch the mask etc. I think that thinking has changed. You are just reducing the cloud of germs you launch as you breath. And you reduce other clouds reaching you. You can choose to believe that or not. But I think you'll find most medical professionals will agree a mask helps.

I think safety trumps a minor imposition on your liberties. Like getting an inspection sticker is not a big deal. If you think mandating masks is overreaching that balance, you have that right. But I think your overreacting. That's just my opinion.

Here is what I think. If we don't take modest measures, like take the vaccine, wear our masks, social distance etc.. It will be MUCH worse and the government WILL mandate much more severe inconveniences against your liberties, like you MUST stay at home, you'll need a permit to go in public that you are a required worker etc. It will get really ugly. I'd like to avoid that.

Think of it this way. If last January (maybe earlier) the governments (around the world). Demanded no one leave home for 1 month COVID might be dead. Right now, I'd trade that for what we've gone through so far.

Since it is so hard to measure this invisible COVID disease, tests are not perfect, some people are not symptomatic, you maybe have to "overreact" or over protect more than might be intuitive. Like wear masks and social distance for 6 more months AFTER the last detected case in USA. As a safety measure. As a buffer.

Think of it like antibiotics. As you may know it's really important that you take the full course of medication for say 14 days. But by day 10 you feel great, and you stop taking it. But there are couple of the strongest germs still left in your body that are resisting. The few, but weak germs are not enough to make you feel sick. But you stop taking the antibiotic. Those weak germs recover and start reproducing. Now you have a new infection a month later that is more resistant to the antibiotic. Now you need a different antibiotic (if there is one) or a stronger dose for a longer period.

Think of the whole world has an infection. And Masks, Vaccines, Social Distancing, and Testing are the current antibiotic we are using. We have to use what we have to make them the most effective and run the full course. We don't know what the full course is either. So officials will have to guess. And it's better to guess to much than to little. Be prepared for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mswlogo For This Useful Post: