View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts
Talking Alton Bay Camp Meeting Grounds

ALTON BAY CAMP MEETING GROUNDS
1863-2005
PREFACE
Like myself, I'd guess many of you have driven by the Alton Bay Christian Conference Center and don't have much of a clue what this place is all about or of its' rich history. I actually drive through the campground to get to my camp up over the mountain. After picking up a few postcards of the campground, my curiosity was piqued so I enlisted the aid of our photopost friend, JacksonB, since I knew his family had ties to the campground. Despite having a full plate, JacksonB has been busy scanning and uploading photos from his photo albums so this is truly a collaborative effort. (Thanks JacksonB!) Most of the postcards are from the divided back era so they are dated 1907-1914. I'm guessing most of JacksonB's photos are from the 20s and 30s. Rather than note which image belongs to whom I will post a link to our respective galleries at the end of the thread so that you may see the photos individually and use photopost's wonderful enlargement feature. There aren't too many images available from 1863-1907 so the text will be accompanied with images of various buildings in the campground complex.

ORIGINS OF THE CAMP MEETINGS

Rand Hill Road Entrance - A now and then photo - top photo is 1946 while bottom photo was taken in February 2005.

Click here to SUPER-SIZE this map.

Old Stereoview photo of the Alton Campmeeting Grounds.

Last edited by mcdude; 04-07-2006 at 04:33 PM.
mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote