View Single Post
Old 01-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
I regularly read another forum specific to towing. I've seen both sides of the length issue and it never gets resolved. I am on the side that worry's about real short wheelbase vehicles towing long single axle trailers. This requires more expertise and experience on the part of the driver.

The issue of being overweight comes up frequently. Every time someone asks if anyone has ever been either cited (non-commercial) or denied insurance coverage for being over weight the answer has always been no.
I think long wheelbase vehicles are inherently more stable, but there are things you can should do to fix instability issues. I would rather drive a well setup Jeep CJ towing a long trailer than an F250 crew cab long bed towing a short trailer with inadequate tongue weight.

There are no laws in NH regarding truck/car/SUV manufacturer's rated towing capacity. The only laws we have dictate the maximum weight an axle can carry, the trailer weight limit for trailer brake requirements, and that tire capacities can not be exceeded.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote