View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 04:40 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,963 Times in 1,213 Posts

So, if you're not familiar with my history here, I'm an, ahem, researcher and gear nerd. This means that when I've settled on something, it's either close to perfect or close to perfect for me (nothing's perfect, of course).

My goal is the perfect intersection between function, form, longevity, and cost.

The umbrella anchor, which I've tried as a low-cost alternative, is bulky, requires getting into and often under the water, and slowly backs out in soft/moving sand. This means it works well in, say, Braun Bay where the average depth is shallower than West Alton, but the latter requires submerging to set and, with the wave action, often pulls out over time.

The mushroom anchor is also useless in a West-Alton-like situation as there's simply too much wave and wind action on most days.

I have not used the Cooper or Sand Shark yet, but from everything I've read and watched, and from other users, I have landed on the Mantus dinghy anchor for the bow and a dog leash anchor for the rear. These work to secure the ski in deep water/emergency circumstances as well as sandbars while keeping the gear light, small, lifetime lasting, and overall inexpensive.

Ultimately, run what ya brung, but for anyone interested in what's worked for a researcher/gear nerd.

Sent from my SM-G990U1 using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote