View Single Post
Old 03-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
Lets sit back, grab a coffee, beer or what ever and review what has really happened in M'boro.

Last year, the board of selectman decided, in a private meeting, that they would put an across the board raise in the valuation of water front property, no appraisals, nothing, just everyone with water front now owes 16.6% more. They started their public meeting and voted it in (review the online video). They then asked for public comment (after it was law), and dismissed the public input. Note, none of the selectman own waterfront, or are life time citizens of the town (except for one: thanks Joel, you are the most reasonable one).

The obvious result was the state reduced the per thousand tax rate. This creates the political inference the selectman have reduced taxes. Now they want to spend this illusionary windfall. Think maintenance fees for what they want to do, non waterfront tax payers will will participate in the bond repayment. I feel betrayed that those in charge think they can get away with this trickery.

Compromise, definition means two sides give in, I don't see any give in on the towns part. One would think they could wait a few years, for people to forget their tax raises, or get a flood of new unknowing tax payers, before pulling this chicanery. It is an outrage.
I am with you, I was one of those effected as a waterfront home owner...... I laughed when I got my tax bill, and so the increase on behalf of the town and the reduction from the state... overall the dam bill changed very little. Everyone in NH snickers at the idea of becoming like Massachusetts.... but the truth be told they already are....