View Single Post
Old 10-15-2011, 06:47 PM   #4
NoBozo

The second link provided by Senter Cove Guy seems to indicate that Seneca was a Side Wheeler....although later on it goes on to infer it was a Screw Propeller.

Here are my thoughts: All the Side Wheelers and Stern Wheelers (Paddle wheel boats) that I have seen pictures of are "Walking Beam" engines.... including the early pictures of the Mount Washington. They have a BIG (obvious) triangular shaped cast iron thingy UP on what was then referred to as the Hurricane Deck.

It was a BIG rocker arm. The engines of that day... were Single/Double (paired) vertical cylinder engines (not compound) with a massive stroke..(the distance the piston travels). This stroke might be as much as 16 Feet... and connected to a crosswise "crankshaft" (bellcrank) upon which the two side paddle wheels were mounted.

SO: Back to the Seneca. The salvaged engine from the Seneca went into the new Ossipee. If you can find a picture of the Ossipee...I think you will find it to be a Side Wheeler. Therefore the Seneca was also a side wheeler. I don't think a Walking Beam engine (VERY long stroke) can be adapted to a screw propeller.........

Just thinking.. NB

PS: I am just getting interested in BIG Steam and am still learning. If anyone has a different take on this I would like to learn more.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote