View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 02:51 AM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by songkrai View Post
The grass is always greener.

You don't mention where you are coming from.

If you presently live in a rural environment then coming here will be no change.

But if you are coming from a city/suburb with all the amenities of a city - you will be disappointed. And your children may or may not be able to cope. Although there are things for youngsters to do. All takes more time and more driving. If you come from a city - there is probably a ball park or field nearby. If you come up here, well, there may be a ball park or field, but you will probably have to drive to and fro.

Rural life is not city life with just fewer homes and more trees.

Drugs are a serious problem both in city area and rural areas. The not mentioned inside joke here is that if you want any illegal drugs - just go to the school student parking lot.

Alcohol is a serious problem in the city environments but that same issues are here.

Although people on this board will scream at me for this. People are not as friendly here as in the city. There is a core of old Yankee families and long term newer families. They do not like flatlanders moving up here and bringing their city ideas, concepts, and town spending wishes along also. And others who have lived here for awhile can be strangers to new comers for a very long time.

And if you plan on sending your children to public schools, I would highly suggest private schools. Brewster Academy, Holderness School, and New Hampton School.

Oh, I can hear the parents screaming now. Moultonborough has great schools, Interlakes has good schools. Laconia has good schools. OK. Check the test scores. Check the number that attend college. The NH state test scores are high only because NH has so many private schools. The large number of private schools with their high test scores raise the entire test score numbers for the state of NH.

If you think that this area is some sort of shangri-la then best to review your motives on moving here.

Good Luck.
There were a few students who left Moultonborough Academy and attended private schools. Well---in my son's graduating class from Moultonborough one went to Harvard, his brother went to Yale, a third student went to MIT and a forth went to Wellesley. I believe the graduating class had about 45 students. Schooling is only one part of the entire moving picture. If you take your time you will probably find the best town for you and your family.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote