Thread: Geese !!
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #34
Coolbreeze

I have to agree with Grant. I live in the same area of pa as he does and in the last 10 years the quality of the water and all activities related to the use of the land surrounding the water and has gone down hill in the local ponds, lakes and streams all from resident geese.
I have watched a flock of resident geese on the back bay of Wolfeboro for at least the last 3 years. These birds are resident birds, as the do not fly south for the winter like they should.
Pennsylvania DCNR has identified these resident bird populations as a threat to its water and has flexed the laws regarding the harassment of resident birds to discourage their nesting etc and have made it easier for land owners to avoid a $1000 fine for messing with a federal bird. Under the supervision of the DCNR officers here, nests can be disassembled, eggs can be manipulated and flash bangs are allowed. All measures to encourage the bird to not make one area a home for long periods.
Take this information seriously, these resident birds will distroy the lake if given the time to set their roots in. Each generation of bird will return to the area of hatching each year and when mature, they will have their offspring there also...do the math. Act now by contacting the local game commission to start moving these birds out for good. It sounds cruel, but look online to see the actual damage these birds can and will do.
Coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote