Thread: Geese !!
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #33
Winni P

Default Geese problem

We have a pair of geese that have taken up residency here. They had 4 babies a few weeks ago and now they are once again solo. The mother in me was sad for a milisecond that there babies were gone but as the homeowner who has to scoop up after them - YAHOOOO!! I know how much time it takes to clean up after these 2 and I really feel for those of you that have many more in your yards.

We live on a pond and have had a problem with geese for years. We have done some research and found that geese need to land in the water and then find an easy access point to walk up to the lawn. We have put stakes in around the perimeter of the yard (we have found them using the neighbor's beach as an access to OUR yard!) & in the water along the shore and strung string across. Need to make sure the string is low enough so they won't swim under it. And of course, make the string easy to take down so YOU can enjoy your waterfront swim area. This is a cumbersome approach as the water level here fluctuates alot so it requires daily maintenance but it works.
We have also tried the ice-cube (aka water cookies) approach but that requires you to be home and see them in your yard. Be careful if you chase them because they will charge back at you.

The stupid birds can fly all the way from Canada but cannot get over a piece of string!!

Good luck!
Winni P is offline   Reply With Quote