Thread: Geese !!
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 01:21 PM   #17
Grant

Re: Methods of dissuading geese from setting up shop on a given piece of ground...

The place where I dive locally in PA is a 50-acre lake with huge, sweeping lawns on one side -- ideal target area for geese. And they've had their share of problems. Back when the area was surrounded solely by farm land, the solution was a noise canon, which made shotgun-like noises controlled by a timer. It reported worked quite well...until some businesses and residential housing appeared on adjoining properties.

Over the winter, I noticed that they had set up grids of string, in 4- to 8-ft. squares, tied to stakes in the ground. It keeps them from landing on the grass, or venturing very far onto the grass. The result? Very few green tootsie-rolls to contend with on the lawns this spring. I do see/hear geese on the lake up there when I visit, but not in large numbers and not every day. This is quite an accomplishment, considering the site has EVERYTHING those damn geese like.

If you have a rocky shore and no grass, it is unlikely that geese will show up and stay. They need grass to eat, and don't do well in brush. I'd pay money to see one try to waddle up the rocks on our shore.

I wonder if a goose in the old bait trap would increase my yield of crayfish...