Thread: MP - Seriously?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Woodsy

Default I was there...

and I agree with Joanna...

I was there saturday afternoon too. I am usually a a very big advocate of the NHMP and the FANTASTIC job they do.. But saturday afternoon was a bit excessive!

The MP arrived with 3 boats just after the bay had pretty much cleared out due to the impending storm. There werent that many boats left. I was had pulled my anchors and was heading out when a friend yelled to me his boat wouldnt start. (He was at the bay with his wife, some friends of hers and thier teenage daughter & her friends) Needless to say the wind was picking up, the sky was dark and the teenage girls were getting a bit frightened. I turned around and tied off to him (his stern line to my nose ring) The wind was picking up so I thought it was best that both boats move in unison to prevent any damage while we tried to get the boat started.

He didnt have any jumper cables, and I had lent out my jump pack to another boater earlier in the day, so the only really quick solution (other than towing him or Seatow) was to give him the second battery out of my Donzi.

I quickly disconnected and removed my second battery, placed it on my shoulder and was in the water walking it over to the other boat when the MP officer in the RIB decided it was good time to remind me of the rafting rules in Braun Bay! I explained to the officer twice that I was not rafting, but helping a broken down boater... instead of asking if they could assist (call Seatow or something) he continued on the rafting rules diatribe! After he explained to me for the 3rd time that we needed to be 25' apart, he motored away!

The funny thing is... he was WRONG!

I wasnt in the mood to argue, I just wanted to get my friends boat running and be on my way before the storm really hit!

We didnt have to be 25' apart nor were we illegal according to the rafting rules! There were no other boats within 50' of us! They all left because of the impending storm!

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/...270/270-44.htm

9 times out of ten the NHMP make the right call... this time it was bit over the top!

Woodsy