View Single Post
Old 05-23-2021, 08:51 AM   #215
CowTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
So intermittent private use for modifying the docks is ok? You’d be surprised how much a seaplane base would attract private users. It’s just like boating, snowmobiling and motorcycling, they are looking for a destination. We enjoy supporting the local shops and businesses. Seaplanes have become less common and because of that the docks are not accommodating. I have had a quite a few people ask me where the seaplane docks are in Alton. They are shocked when I tell them there is none. But it’s a seaplane base, how are there no docks? Most seaplanes around here are amphibious, meaning they have wheels and can land on and most importantly fuel on land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m not sure why the town would need to modify the wharf. The plane this weekend was able to tie up just fine. And if I correctly understood the presentation at the board of selectmen’s meeting, seaplanes have always been entitled to land wherever they want (with or without the FAA runway certification) so long as proper distance has been maintained.

Now, the board of selectmen raised their own safety concerns on the use of the wharf for seaplanes in general, and the town of course can regulate the use of the town wharf. I see private use of the wharf as something that should also involve public discussion and debate, but the conversation is very different if there is no commercial operation involved.
CowTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CowTimes For This Useful Post: