View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 10:15 PM   #36
Riviera

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
There are several things that stand in the way of improvements to the Weirs area and until the solutions to these issues make sense there will not be any big changes.

1. The Veteran's Association property is front and center to any substantial improvements and without a viable alternative they will be in the way of any large scale development.
I am not particularly knowledgeable as to the VA property, but I agree that it is an aesthetic detriment if it can't be changed.

Quote:
2. The topography presents a much different challenge than what exists in Meredith. The steep hill does not make any substantial development an easy issue.
I'd argue that the topography of the Chase House and Mills falls does not differ substantially from the topography on the north side of the main boulevard. The lakefront topography is more challenging, but the boardwalk is a unique amenity, as well as a unique challenge.

Quote:
3. Existing property owners, primarily Ames, would have to be willing to develop their property and invest a substantial sum, or sell to a new investor who was willing to do so.
Agreed. There are 3 primary landowners in the Weirs. One has made investments, and is a benefit to the Weirs. The other two are not likely to make an investment. Remember, Meredith didn't happen all at once, so if successful development could start, the "old timers" may be willing to trade a relatively small income stream for a sale.

Quote:
4. Whoever might chose to invest in the area would need the confidence that 10 weeks of income would make 52 weeks of payments.
Agreed. Hence my suggestion that there needs to be legislative changes that assure high quality development to support early development. That said, it snows in Laconia at about the same rate that is snows in Meredith. There are many seasonal destinations in New England that thrive with the seasonality.

Quote:
There are many other factors to consider. The pier as it stands now is structurally challenged. The marine contractor who worked on it for many years refused to work on it as of 5 years ago because of it's condition and the obvious liability concerns. Anyone who has viewed the property from the water side has seen the structural issues that exist.

Whatever ends up on the Pier will require a very large investment, likely more than the purchase price, and it will take a lot of summer seasons to make a profit.
I'm not familiar with the specific structural challenges, but a pier with a building over the water is unique in many ways. It could be an asset, albeit with significant investment. I suspect some of that investment would need to come from the community. In downtown Laconia, the community is investing $15,000,000 to revitalize the unique Colonial Theater. The former owner of that property is a significant Weirs beach landowner. There are parallels.

Quote:
There are no easy answers or quick solutions.
Agreed. If change were to happen, there would be pain in the short term.

Quote:
Comparing Laconia to Meredith is not a fair comparison. Even an investor with deep pockets would likely look at all of the challenges that the Weirs area faces and realize that after committing a lot of time and resources it would be a long time, if ever, before it became profitable.
I disagree. Prior to the redevelopment of Mills Falls, Meredith had an old asbestos factory, a 70's vintage ugly office building, a church, and a somewhat dated restaurant. They didn't have a beach, a boardwalk, a pier, or nearly as much land that could be developed. There are some added challenges in the Weirs, but there are also some unique advantages. It's not a direct comparison, but I believe it is a fair comparison.
Riviera is offline   Reply With Quote