View Single Post
Old 01-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #34
Descant

Thanked 1,519 Times in 985 Posts
Default Welcome

Greetings , Riviera and welcome to the Forum. A very thoughtful first post.
You chose a great name, as the Weirs could be the Riviera of NH, competing with Hampton Beach.
Although I would tweak your ideas some I don't want to disagree here as that is what tweaks are all about, not disagreements.
I agree with most of your propose.

The Weirs was originally developed by a few things coming together. RR's. Jim Irwin Sr and the Lavallees, among others. I visited Atlantic City many times over the years, and it is fascinating to see the parallels where AC promotions were followed at the Weirs. Not everybody could afford to go to AC, but they could get on a train and go to the Weirs Boardwalk, big name band dance hall, beach etc. People say we need an investor, but I agree with you that Weirs needs a visionary. I think Jim Irwin, as a musician, didn't have a lot of money, but he got others to invest in the Weirs. Probably lost a couple of fortunes in the process. Nevertheless, he was a great leader who helped develop Laconia, the Weirs, and the Lakes Region.

I think sometimes that, while Irwin of course, wanted to make a living, he just wanted the area to develop so that everybody around could be better off. I only knew him as a little boy, but he was always happy. That's a key ingredient.
Sorry to digress a little, but if you want to develop the Weirs, you have to have a sense of heritage.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post: