View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #16
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourstardave View Post
Hi Andy and all. I was a caddy at Bald Peak 1968-1970 and then worked in the proshop '71-'74. I must have been there the same time as Merryman!
Was a great way to grow up, beautiful place to spend those summers. Hoping to visit next summer.
Hi Dave, if you are still reading the forum, send me a private message. Based on the dates, we worked together in the pro shop.

NHDreaming (John), my award was in 71, not 70. I do remember you! Again, a PM to catch up would be great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish66 View Post
There was a former caddy, probably fifteen or sixteen, that worked the driving range. Are any of these people familiar to anyone? I'd love to contact them.
It's possible that was me. But given the dates you've mentioned, probably my predecessor. My first year working on the pro shop staff was running the driving range. That would have been the summer of 72.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trish66 View Post
We started work at seven and partied 'til two or three am each morning.
Does that sound familiar! (Don't tell my kids). Fran Quinn was the caddy master my first year. After that, it was Danny McMillen, and he and I worked together in the pro shop once I started there. He had a brand new, blue, Chevy Chevelle coup that we took all over the region, usually to bars (the drinking age was 18 at the time). The car would be a classic if it is still around today, but I shudder to think of the times we drove back in the wee hours of the AM.

Quote:
I wish I could remember the gentleman and his family that ran the caddy camp. He was a great guy and I think, maybe a teacher. The husband and wife were wonderful people, and I ran into the husband a couple of years later.
Yes, he was a teacher, and I agree with all your other points too. Bob Daly, from Taunton.

Quote:
I do remember that the caddy truck was in an accident, and I'm not sure but I think someone lost part of his arm. I think the truck rolled over. [
I'm pretty sure this was my first summer there, so it would have been 69. I remember it vividly.

Each summer, one of the special trips we had on the rare, non-caddying day was a trip to Mt. Washington to ride the cog railway. A small group would be taken each week, in the old truck used to transport us at the time. It was probably an old army truck, like the ones you see in the movies. Canvas top, benches on either side of the bed, and wooden slat sides.

Apparently one of the boys had his arm hanging over the side when the truck took the corner into the railway parking lot too fast and rolled. He did lose his arm.

It was near the beginning of the summer, and needless to say he never returned, so I don't remember who it was.

For those who might be interested, I still have the Caddy Camp newsletter from 1971. It lists the names and addresses of all who were there that summer, directors, caddies, counselors, etc.. Send me a PM if you would like a copy.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote