View Single Post
Old 05-04-2023, 11:52 AM   #18
ApS

Wink Buy Homes Across the Street...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
They struck when we were in Florida. Trashed a whole line of small privacy trees that were no threat to power lines and left large piles of slash as well as a huge pile of 18-20" pine logs which are of no use to us for firewood.
Also found a new crack across a brand new paving job on our driveway.....neighbor said a crane was working there.
1) Where I winter in Florida, Asplundh shreds the trimmings and delivers the mulch to their electric customers on their "mulch list". (An actual list). When they drove down my street, I asked for a mulch delivery. The driver checked his mulch list in front of me, and I was listed as #5. "Number one" on his list was on a road-accessible island seven miles away that had no electricity or water services!

2) Japanese Maple is an acceptable tree in NH. Norway Maple is not!

Quote:
This is why some formerly popular landscaping plants (purple loosestrife, burning bush, Norway maple) are on the list of prohibited invasive plants in New Hampshire.

https://www.agriculture.nh.gov/divis...ive-plants.htm
3) In 1960, I flew across this great nation in a light plane. As said previously posted, New Hampshire was uniformly green except for its many lakes. However, Audubon Magazine had a story about rampant unregulated logging throughout the SE states. It was titled, "Whittling Dixie".

Since that flight, major logging came to Mt. Shaw. (A mountain very visible from Lake Winnipesaukee). When I last hiked Mt. Shaw, there wasn't a mature White Pine tree to be seen.

4) When I did plant White Pines on my Winnipesaukee lakefront in the 1960s, I failed to notice the electric lines overhead. The lines went to my neighbors' homes, diagonally across one of my lots. When they cut half of them down, I called to ask if they had an easement. The answer was, "We'll check on it".

The following season, the utility revamped the utility poles to miss my property, but cut down more trees and left the debris (and one pole) in place.

But now, none of my three properties have powerlines anywhere near them!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote