View Single Post
Old 05-03-2023, 02:21 PM   #10
SailinAway

Default Eversource does the same

Eversource decimated many beautiful maple trees on my street that shaded walkers and bikers in the summer. They don't care about the esthetics of their work in the least, taking huge ugly bites out of the trees. The number of walkers went down after the tree cutting.

BEWARE: If you care about your trees, you MUST BE HOME when they come to do the cutting even if you have given explicit instructions that they are not to do any cutting. One year Eversource (meaning Asplundh) cut trees on my property after receiving permission from my neighbor! They didn't even verify whose property the trees were on. I gave them verbal and written notice not to touch my trees. The following year they cut a large quantity of branches from two beautiful walnut trees in my yard when I wasn't home. Walnuts are valuable and delicate trees that only have leaves from late May to early October and they are impacted by drought and tent caterpillars. They can't afford to lose any branches. Plus Eversource left all the mess in my yard for me to clean up.

This year is the first year that Eversource has sent notices to residents about planned cutting and asked for their written permission for the cutting (by checking a box on the return postcard). I called the supervisor for my area and reminded him again about my instructions to not touch my trees. Moral of the story: revoke permission in writing, be home when they're in your neighborhood, and talk directly with the supervisor. The supervisor will not necessarily be on site on the day of the cutting, so you need to clarify things with him ahead of time and have his phone number handy on the day of the cutting.

It's not that we want to prevent trimming of dangerous trees. It's that these companies have demonstrated that they don't care about property owners' rights, your expressed wishes, or unnecessary damage to trees that aren't threatening the lines.

In my area there has been a huge amount of tree removal by the electric companies but also by residents who log acres of trees for no apparent reason and contractors who believe that every single tree needs to be removed from a lot in order to build a house. There is no consideration of the need for the shade provided trees, wildlife habitat, environmental protection, or even our psychological need for live vegetation around us. This explains why no one sits outside on their lawn or porch anymore---it's too hot and too ugly. New Hampshire may be heavily forested, but large areas of our towns, cities, and newer neighborhoods---the places where there are people---are not.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote