View Single Post
Old 04-15-2009, 10:29 AM   #56
sa meredith

Default agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt17 View Post
Spoke to the owner of our marina the other day and its only half full with paying customers as of last weekend. I think its going to be a slow quiet summer on the lake.

Quick story. We received our invoice this year, along with the annual letter, explaining: "hey, pay now, pay in full, no launches if any outstanding balances, and oh, by the way...due to OUR EXTENSIVE WAITING LIST, pay by the due date, or come get your boat." So, we did our duty and mailed the check 2 days before the dead line. This is for valet service by the way.
And the fact of the matter is that we really could have used another month or two to pay in full. But, not wanting to lose our spot, as we actually do love the place, we moved some things around, and got it paid on their requested date. Now, there are a lot of ways to ask for money in this economy, and I think the way they did it was crappy. How about this:
"Although we realize many of our valued customers are facing uncertain times, we must request payment, in full, by (whatever date), as our fine marina has many obligations we need to stay up with. We ask for your understanding in this matter. Any questions should be directed to the 'such and such'..." Much nicer than "hey, pay now. We have 12 people behind you waiting for your spot!"
The rest of the story:
I had 2 people call the day I mailed the check, and continue to have people call every 7 or 8 days, and guess what? They all get the same response.
"Plenty of room. When would you like to drop your boat off?"
What happened to the waiting list?????
I will say this, however. Noone has been offered a discount. Noone. Price has remained uniform, and all callers have been told the money is due in full. So, it is fair. I just didn't like the tone of the letter.