View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 12:45 PM   #78
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
AB lost revenue because the establishments that support the transgender community will no longer purchase, and thus sell, the product.

Critics of the transgender community, like bar owner Kid Rock, continue to sell the brand at their bars.

Locker Room Humor can legally if the situation persists constitute a legal finding of a hostile work environment. The supervisor is responsible to see that it stops. The Chief, being the direct supervisor, had to be overstepped by the BoS after the investigation.

https://www.skassellaw.com/how-locke...k-environment/

The Board acts on behalf of the taxpayers; and I would guess got the best legal advice they could to protect those taxpayers.

Work environments are always tough... but we have to do the best we can to limit offensive behavior and make others feel comfortable to perform at exceptional levels.
California law may have a different standard for what constitutes a hostile work environment than New Hampshire law. When I retired from the Army 11 years ago the standard was that the conduct must be persistent, intentional, severe, recurring and pervasive, and must interfere with the employee's ability to perform. The person making the accusation must reasonably believe that he or she will be discriminated against, e.g., if not he or she will be terminated. Instances of locker room humor or inappropriate jokes are not enough.

That said, the standard probably has lowered over the years, especially with the "me too" movement. Also, there may be legal theories prohibiting such behavior other than hostile work environment. And while I agree we have to do the best we can to make people feel comfortable and perform well, those who can relate and adapt to all personality types do best. I thought the world was a much more interesting place where we had to deal with "characters." When I was a kid, there were "characters" everywhere. Now, in our effort to be diverse, we are creating a society of homogenous behavior. Boring!
Major is offline   Reply With Quote