View Single Post
Old 09-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #76
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
News flash--women are a protected class.

Bigger issue though (not to minimize sexism)--don't you think the town should be able to fire a police chief (or fire chief, or DPW head...) just for being a lousy leader? Did you see the Granite State News piece? A captain called for help in a life or death situation and NOBODY came to the scene? Unbelievable. That complete lack of structure/discipline alone is reason to terminate the chief
Of course I know that women are a protected class. Locker room humor alone is not sufficient to create a hostile work environment. It needs to be coupled with some sort of discrimination or favoritism, which doesn't appear to be present in this instance.

The situation you mentioned is not referenced in the article. Not sure whether it was investigated. Police make split second decisions on a routine basis. As with most if not all of these situations, we do not know all the facts. If the chief was not performing to the requirements of the position, there were any number of ways to initiate his removal. The initial investigation in this instance appears to be rooted in disgruntled employees complaining about assignments and overtime. The article doesn't really mention poor job performance.

I have seen many instances when even a small number of disgruntled employees can destroy an otherwise honorable career. People get caught up in the emotional aspect of a hostile work environment accusation and tend to overstate and embellish what really was said and happened. And then they use the allegations to effect the removal of the individual. Again, I know nothing about this present situation, but given the history of shoddy reporting by the LDS, I always view stories like these with a critical eye.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote