View Single Post
Old 04-14-2023, 12:18 PM   #15
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I guess technically, you are correct. There is presently no "defund the police" movement. (At least not one that anyone would put there name to.)
There most certainly was a defund police movement, especially in the summer of 2020. Many political leaders talked about defunding the police in favor of alternate approaches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OWiRuJgtVE

However, as we all know, the label of defund the police attained an undesirable stigma. Now those who agree with the concept but not the name call it police reform. Kamala would call it police reimagining. Same thing, different name.
I believe that he was suggesting that in NH, we fund our police with local property taxes... and no movement amongst most of the NH municipalities existed at any time to ''defund the police'' - so for us, it was just a political tag line... not reality.
I think Croydon or Grafton may have gone so far as to defund their PD (usually just a chief in small NH towns) - but that would be due to the Free State Project, not a general attitude.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post: