View Single Post
Old 12-08-2021, 08:17 PM   #9
Pine Island Guy

Default lights lights everywhere!

thank you ITD for bringing up this topic, it is something that has been on my mind a lot too! I hope that we can revive it next summer when there are more folks reading the Forum that are near their light switches.

There are so many ways to cut down on light pollution that will still put light where it is needed, without broadcasting it across the lake and into the sky. Even now, way out of season and mid-week, I look across to the shore at bright lights. Guessing that some of them are on timers for houses as a deterrent that aren't occupied currently. One in particular has what looks to be long line of lights along a deck... on every night until about 11pm... for what?

Similar to what others have posted, I remember as a kid in the early '60s, lying on the dock at night in the middle of the summer and it was pitch black, looking for shooting stars, or figuring out the constellations... the darkness was amazing!

For more on "Dark Sky", the link below has some interesting info. I've thought for a while it would be a great project for Boy Scouts, or "Lake Host" interns, etc to do some canvassing/educating of shoreline residents about how to light effectively without blinding everyone else.

https://skyglowproject.com/dark-sky-movement

Great to have a little snow today, it makes the winter more enjoyable. Will be putting up the boat and walking to the island soon! -PIG

PS: have also been meaning to write the LRCT about the mega-watt flood lights at Castle in the Clouds and/or water plant. Although they make a great nighttime navigational reference on the lake, they are exceedingly bright and on from dusk till dawn... for what purpose?
Pine Island Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pine Island Guy For This Useful Post: